Rate the last movie you just saw.

Started by Halloran, April 26, 2011, 12:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthwollipot

Quote from: CarbShark on November 06, 2023, 08:19:58 PM
Quote from: arthwollipot on November 06, 2023, 06:20:50 PMETA: I saw Interstellar at a drive-in in Brisbane with my girlfriend. I don't remember much about it.

Is that science fiction or fantasy?

I call it science fiction.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

Tassie Dave

Quote from: daniel1948 on November 06, 2023, 06:59:49 PMScience fiction does not have to be fantasy. And fantasy (including space fantasy) does not have to pretend to be science.

It can be though.

I belong to an online science fiction and fantasy book club. We often read books that are impossible to place in either category.

We often use the terms speculative fiction, space fantasy or science fiction fantasy (SFF) for books that have both science fiction and Fantastical elements.

Interstellar is speculative fiction. Most of the science is legit, but they take massive liberties with how they use it.

Any planet orbiting a black hole fast enough to cause that extreme a time dilation and with the tidal forces to cause the world wide tsunamis would not be approachable by a spacecraft without ripping it apart.

Science Fiction doesn't have to obey the laws of Physics to be SF. That is Hard Sci-Fi. All other genres of sci-fi can take liberties with all laws of science. As long as they tell a good story.

arthwollipot

Quote from: Tassie Dave on November 06, 2023, 08:41:52 PMScience Fiction doesn't have to obey the laws of Physics to be SF. That is Hard Sci-Fi. All other genres of sci-fi can take liberties with all laws of science. As long as they tell a good story.

Even Hard Sci-Fi has to take some liberties. Ringworld is scientifically implausible, and Larry Niven is generally regarded as one of the hardest of Hard Sci-Fi authors.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

stretcher

Princess Mononoke (1997)

What a beautiful film in so many ways. A literal war involving gods between man and nature surrounding a love story.

I really liked Lady Eboshi. She comes off as an antagonist, but she's not. She's a hero to her people, hurling herself before any perceived threat, even gods, willing to fight them face to face and staring them right in the eyes. She reminds me of Ellen Ripley from Aliens.

Anyways, one of the best animated films ever made.

5/5

daniel1948

Year One (2009). 7/10. A fun, silly-stupid movie. Jack Black and his caveman pals go on an adventure in which they meet Cain and Abel, they visit Sodom and the Tower of Babel, and a bunch of other unrelated stuff from the Bible.

Zoom (2006). 6/10. Very stupid, kind of fun. A has-been superhero has to prepare a bunch of kids with superpowers to become superheroes.

Both on Netflix.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

Friendly Angel

Fracture 2007. Crime/courtroom drama.

A friend who knows my taste in movies recommended this one. An old Anthony Hopkins vs a young Ryan Gosling - the acting alone is worth it - Hopkins is a creepy jerk, and Gosling is a likeable jerk. Fun storyline with twists and a few plot holes. Nice pacing, engaging development, keeps you guessing, just the right amount of hints.

$4 per view.
9/10 for plot holes.
Amend and resubmit.

daniel1948

Bullet Train. 10/10. Fun movie with lots of unexpected and convoluted plot twists. On Netflix.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

stretcher

Blue Beetle

It gets off to a strong start. For fans of DC Comics (I read them as a kid, so I am familiar with the previous iteration of this character) the second act is pleasing.

The final act, however, feels overstuffed, overlong, and has some very corny attempts at humor that feel utterly out of place.

I will say this much: the trailers made the film appear to have a different tone and look than it actually has. It's difficult to explain, but what they presented in those trailers are definitely not borne out in this film - in a good way in my opinion.

daniel1948

What's Up Doc? 1972. 10/10 does not do it justice. I will call it one of the best movies ever. Still holds up after all these years. Wikipedia calls it a "screwball comedy," and I cannot think of a better description.

Over the past 2 or 3 weeks I've watched the first three Batman movies and the first three Jurassic Park movies.

The second Batman movie was the best. Jack Nicholson is a great actor, but Danny DeVito had a much better character to work with. The Joker is basically just a thug, but Penguin is a character worthy of Batman. And of course Catwoman is one of the best movie characters ever. The third one was good, but not as good as the Tim Burton ones. All three were better IMO than any that followed. In chronological order, 9/10, 10/10, 7/10.

The Jurassic park movies all suffered from being extremely emotionally manipulating. Cliff hanger after cliff hanger, some of them literal. People almost getting away from the dinosaurs, only to be confronted again. The old guy sending his grandchildren off in an automated jeep with a severe storm coming. It's just too stupid for somebody smart enough to bring dinosaurs back to life. 7/10, 6/10, 6/10.

And I re-watched Gunpowder Milkshake. I'm a big fan of Karen Gillan. 10/10.
-- Greta Thunberg

raggedy angst

I saw Godzilla Minus One last night, and was really impressed. It managed to be both an excellent kaiju movie, and a moving portrait of individuals and Japan as a whole finding their way after the nightmare of World War II. I'd put Minus One alongside Shin Godzilla as my favourites in the series (along with the original 1954 Japanese Godzilla).

stretcher

The Blind Side

It's more of a family film than I thought it would be, though it pushes the edge a bit at times. I really liked it, feel good movie.

jt512

Quote from: daniel1948 on November 30, 2023, 12:49:52 PMWhat's Up Doc? 1972. 10/10 does not do it justice. I will call it one of the best movies ever. Still holds up after all these years. Wikipedia calls it a "screwball comedy," and I cannot think of a better description.

Streisand: Love means never having to say you're sorry.
O'Neal: That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Priceless. Leave it to Buck Henry to end a movie like that.
Never Again Is Now.

stretcher

Rebel Moon

A lot better than I thought it would be. A mash-up of many space operas, heavy Warhammer 40k vibes. Some scenes feel turgid.

werecow

Quote from: stretcher on December 22, 2023, 02:55:36 PMRebel Moon

A lot better than I thought it would be. A mash-up of many space operas, heavy Warhammer 40k vibes. Some scenes feel turgid.

Literally in the middle of watching this right now. So far its pretty good.
Mooohn!

Harry Black

Godzilla Minus One is very good.
Very human focused story with really cool monster stuff.