Oblivious to the problem of evil?

Started by Desert Fox, January 19, 2024, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenu

I had at least 2 ant farms. They were fun to watch when I was a kid.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

daniel1948

Quote from: Friendly Angel on January 20, 2024, 11:30:21 PM
Quote from: Desert Fox on January 20, 2024, 06:48:35 PMIf you have an ant farm, you want the farm to do well but you are likely not concerned with the individual ants. You are also not concerned about their souls.

1)  I love this analogy.
2)  Did anyone here ever have an actual ant farm?

ETA - Apparently they are still a thing:
https://www.nature-gifts.com/shop/ant-farms/

I think I had one as a kid. I don't think the ants lived very long.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

arthwollipot

Quote from: daniel1948 on January 21, 2024, 09:47:24 AMI think I had one as a kid. I don't think the ants lived very long.

They usually don't. Unless you have a queen and a large area for them to forage, an ant colony on your desk is not viable.

The YouTube channel AntsCanada has a lot of information on keeping ants.

https://www.youtube.com/@AntsCanada
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

daniel1948

I have no memory of whether I fed them or not. Any animal needs food. That tiny ant farm would not have had enough food to keep them going for long at all. Obviously, if you want to keep ants, you need to give them food.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

xenu

The ant farm I had as a kid had food we gave them. They still did not last to long.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams