Aussie Rules (AFL/AFLW)

Started by Tassie Dave, September 30, 2023, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassie Dave

Go Pies.

A great close Grand Final yesterday. Pies should have won by more, but a win is a win.

Pies 12.18. 90
Lions 13.8. 86

Mark of the year in a Grand final by Bobby Hill. We haven't seen that since 1970.

1970 Alex Jesaulenko

Too bad the Mark of the Year is awarded 5 days before the Grand Final  :undecided:

Though Bobby did win the Norm Smith Medal and a Premiership Medal. He'd take that over MotY award  :grin:

arthwollipot

People sometimes ask me why I'm okay about being wrong, and at never succeeding at anything.

I reply that I come from a family of St Kilda supporters.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

DevoutCatalyst

Quote from: arthwollipot on October 02, 2023, 08:30:31 PMPeople sometimes ask me why I'm okay about being wrong, and at never succeeding at anything.

I reply that I come from a family of St Kilda supporters.

Oh yeah ?

Tassie Dave

It took 69 years for them to win their first cup and it's been 57 years (so far) waiting for their 2nd.  :undecided:

and I felt hard done by, by waiting 37 years between Richmond's 10th (1980) & 11th Cup (2017), which was closely followed with our 12th (2019) & 13th cup (2020)  :grin:

I have several friends who are die hard Saint's fans and I'd love to see them win a Premiership before I or they die. 1 Premiership in 126 years is pretty poor.  :undecided:

arthwollipot

If St Kilda ever gets a premiership, my dad (85) has promised to get a tattoo.

I don't think any tattoo artist worth their pay would tattoo his now very thin skin, so I have volunteered to get it on his behalf.

- Seth Meyers

bachfiend

Quote from: arthwollipot on October 03, 2023, 02:34:31 AMIf St Kilda ever gets a premiership, my dad (85) has promised to get a tattoo.

I don't think any tattoo artist worth their pay would tattoo his now very thin skin, so I have volunteered to get it on his behalf.

Perhaps a stick on tattoo would suffice?

I don't have any sympathy for Saints' supporters after my West Coast Eagles won the wooden spoon two years running (I wonder where the term 'wooden spoon' came from, and whether it refers to a real wooden spoon).

No, I'm wrong - the Eagles didn't win the wooden spoon last year -  it just seems like they did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VFL/AFL_wooden_spoons#:~:text=The%20wooden%20spoon%20is%20the,sanctioned%20by%20the%20VFL%2FAFL.

If it's any consolation, the Saints have one more wooden spoons (27) than any other club.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Tassie Dave

I know the term "Wooden Spoon" comes from one of the Oxbridge Unis.

A quick Google search shows it was Cambridge.I thought it was for the student who came last, but Google tells me it was for the student who came last of those that Graduated with Honours.

And while he lives, he wields the boasted prize
Whose value all can feel, the weak, the wise;
Displays in triumph his distinguish'd boon,
The solid honours of the Wooden Spoon
—"The Wooden Spoon" from The Cambridge Tart (1823)

It is a real wooden spoon

My beloved Tigers have won either won 6 or 7 Wooden Spoons, depending on how you view the 1916 season.

Richmond finished 3rd of 4 teams after the Home & Away season, but finished 4th of 4 after the Finals.

Some people say Fitzroy by finishing 4th after the H&A games won the Wooden Spoon, but then never lost a game and won the Premiership. Some say Richmond won by finishing last after all the games were played. I count it as being Richmond's. Under the playing rules of that season we finished last.

bachfiend

Quote from: Tassie Dave on October 05, 2023, 05:49:52 PMI know the term "Wooden Spoon" comes from one of the Oxbridge Unis.

A quick Google search shows it was Cambridge.I thought it was for the student who came last, but Google tells me it was for the student who came last of those that Graduated with Honours.

And while he lives, he wields the boasted prize
Whose value all can feel, the weak, the wise;
Displays in triumph his distinguish'd boon,
The solid honours of the Wooden Spoon
—"The Wooden Spoon" from The Cambridge Tart (1823)

It is a real wooden spoon

My beloved Tigers have won either won 6 or 7 Wooden Spoons, depending on how you view the 1916 season.

Richmond finished 3rd of 4 teams after the Home & Away season, but finished 4th of 4 after the Finals.

Some people say Fitzroy by finishing 4th after the H&A games won the Wooden Spoon, but then never lost a game and won the Premiership. Some say Richmond won by finishing last after all the games were played. I count it as being Richmond's. Under the playing rules of that season we finished last.

Interesting origin of the wooden spoon.

Can't really consider the 1916 season a real one owing to World War I.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Tassie Dave

Quote from: bachfiend on October 09, 2023, 01:22:29 AMInteresting origin of the wooden spoon.

Can't really consider the 1916 season a real one owing to World War I.

Teams did field teams and player did play, so they are real seasons.

Of course all seasons 1914-1918 & 1940 to 1945 were compromised seasons as many of the players enlisted.

DevoutCatalyst

arthwollipot

I think a lot of people in other countries don't get just how big Aussie Rules is here.

- Seth Meyers

Tassie Dave

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that stat about Collingwood is not quite right. That is their average for Home games played at the MCG in 2023. A ground that can hold over 100,000 people.

Their actual record is still impressive given that they play away games at venues that hold less than 50,000

Collingwood 2023: 26 Games. Attendance 1,675,152. Average 64,429
https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2023.html

I wonder why the NFL numbers aren't on that list.  :undecided:

The NY Jets (82,952) & the Cowboys (80,549) would also make that list for 2023.

Quote from: arthwollipot on October 11, 2023, 07:35:45 PMI think a lot of people in other countries don't get just how big Aussie Rules is here.

and the AFL numbers are more impressive when you also factor in that Aussie Rules is only the dominant football code in 5 of the 8 States/major Territories. As you know, Rugby League dominates in the other 3.

Another stat that people overlook is that Aussie Rules has the world's 2 oldest professional football teams.

Melbourne & Geelong FC (Started 1859) are older than any professional Football team in the world (of any code)

DevoutCatalyst

Quote from: Tassie Dave on October 11, 2023, 09:17:24 PMSorry to burst your bubble, but that stat about Collingwood is not quite right. That is their average for Home games played at the MCG in 2023. A ground that can hold over 100,000 people.

No bubble burst. Was hoping you would scrutinize it.

DevoutCatalyst

When they demolish the Gabba, where will Brisbane play and is that venue any good? When the new Gabba opens, will the ground be the same shape, size, orientation, etc? In other words, will the Lions' home game advantage remain?

Tassie Dave

Brisbane will be playing their home games at RNA Showgrounds for at least 4 years (2026 to 2029) while the Gabba is upgraded for the 2032 Olympics.

The Showgrounds isn't usable as an AFL football ground at the moment, but will be getting a $137 million upgrade (US$90 million) to improve the playing field and seating capacity (20,000)
It is going to be a much smaller ground than the Gabba.

The Gabba is 170m (Goal to Goal) and 150m (wing to wing)

They haven't released the Showgrounds future field dimensions, but given the size of the ground the maximum the playing field could be is 140m by 110m. Much smaller than the Gabba or any other AFL ground. Geelong's ground is a similar width (115m), but no other ground is under 150m long.

That is still within AFL standards of 135–185 metres long goal-to-goal and 110–155 metres wide wing-to-wing.

Aussie Rules is one of the rare games that has no set field size. Mainly because Aussie Rules was invented by cricketers as a way to keep fit during the winter months. So almost all aussie rules grounds are dual cricket and footy grounds. Cricket has never standardised ground sizes. They had to fit on any usable village green in England in the 1800s.

Will the RNA Showgrounds be any good? We won't know until it's finished, but I'd expect it to be a high standard given the money being spent.

i'd expect the Lions will lose any home ground advantage. At least for the first year. They will still have a home crowd advantage, which the 2 Perth teams still managed to weaponise, even during their move to Optus stadium.

A loud home crowd is worth a few goals.

How the home ground advantage will be got back with a 4 year hiatus is hard to say. That is a big break. It will take a few years to get back.

https://brisbanedevelopment.com/new-20000-seat-stadium-planned-for-rna-showgrounds-during-gabba-upgrade/