Desert Fox's Pictures

Started by Desert Fox, June 29, 2016, 12:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Fox

I had to drive into the mountains to get some parts for my roommate's car after they hit a deer.
I did not want to do any major hiking but there was an old railroad tunnel known as the Blue Ridge Tunnel.
Used to be for the railroad to go through the mountains before a new tunnel was built

One entrance

Inside the tunnel where there is water dripping pretty hard.

Picture inside the tunnel.  Took some of interesting rocks (to me) but not sure worth sharing all of them.

Other side of the tunnel.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

xenu

"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

Desert Fox

Dog walks dog. . . . .

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Desert Fox

- Mark Twain

daniel1948

^ Gorgeous!

(But I'm glad I'm not there. Show is very pretty, but I've had more than enough of it for a lifetime. :smiley: )
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

arthwollipot

I've never lived anywhere that gets a significant amount of snow.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

Desert Fox

That was while I was visiting New Hampshire when I was doing one of my daily walks.
That actually was in a neighborhood but perfect location where you don't see houses.
- Mark Twain

daniel1948

Quote from: arthwollipot on January 21, 2024, 04:41:58 PMI've never lived anywhere that gets a significant amount of snow.

North Dakota doesn't get a lot of snow, but it does have a LOT of wind, and that wind can pile an inch of snow into a drift many feet high. The land is flat and open and the wind blows the snow until it comes to an obstacle, and then the drift forms on the leeward side.

I did go snowshoeing a few times in British Columbia. The mountains get a LOT of snow. So I've experienced large snow accumulations, but not lived where they happen.

The other thing about snow in North Dakota: It comes in November and doesn't melt until March or April. Depending on the year. At first it's white and beautiful. Then the wind blows the snow off the fields and starts blowing dirt, and then the snow is an ugly brown.

"Snirt" is the word for snow mixed with dirt. Nasty stuff.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

arthwollipot

Not that I've never seen snow. Australia has this entire mountain range that's literally called the Snowy Mountains. Because we love naming things. I've been skiing in Thredbo - once - and even when there's no snow, taking the alpine walking trails is utterly magnificent. It's only a couple of hours from where I live, too.

But there's never been significant snow where I live.

- Seth Meyers

daniel1948

Quote from: arthwollipot on January 21, 2024, 07:01:09 PM... even when there's no snow, taking the alpine walking trails is utterly magnificent...

For a dozen years I spent the short summer hiking season hiking the alpine trails in the mountains of British Columbia. It's breathtakingly spectacular. I lived the other ten and a half months for that short hiking season, with one or two two-week trips to places I could hike at other times of the year.

I only quit when I began to get too skittish on the trails, most of which have one or two very sketchy spots where a slip could be serious. When I made the decision that I no longer was steady or strong enough to hike safely, I moved here.

Maui is not as spectacularly beautiful as British Columbia, but I get to paddle year-'round. No more waiting ten and a half months for hiking season to arrive. And at sea level there's no snow.  :grin:
-- Greta Thunberg

arthwollipot

Quote from: daniel1948 on January 21, 2024, 07:45:55 PM
Quote from: arthwollipot on January 21, 2024, 07:01:09 PM... even when there's no snow, taking the alpine walking trails is utterly magnificent...

For a dozen years I spent the short summer hiking season hiking the alpine trails in the mountains of British Columbia. It's breathtakingly spectacular. I lived the other ten and a half months for that short hiking season, with one or two two-week trips to places I could hike at other times of the year.

I only quit when I began to get too skittish on the trails, most of which have one or two very sketchy spots where a slip could be serious. When I made the decision that I no longer was steady or strong enough to hike safely, I moved here.

Maui is not as spectacularly beautiful as British Columbia, but I get to paddle year-'round. No more waiting ten and a half months for hiking season to arrive. And at sea level there's no snow.  :grin:

I've been to the top of Kosciusko (the highest mountain in Australia) once. It's not a difficult walk, if you're able-bodied, and it's possible with a mobility aid.

Highly recommended, if you're ever in the area.

- Seth Meyers

Tassie Dave

Quote from: arthwollipot on January 21, 2024, 04:41:58 PMI've never lived anywhere that gets a significant amount of snow.

I live somewhere that gets significant snow.

Not by North American or European standards, but definitely a significant amount by Australian standards.

The last massive snowfall was back in '91. Tassie had snow from west to east and north to south, including on the beaches. We got enough that when the snowploughs went through, we had snow on the sides of the road higher than car roof height.

A typical Tassie winter snow will shut roads and make them impassable for anything non-FWD or with snow chains.

But still laughable by North American/European standards.  :grin:

arthwollipot

Famously, Canberra gets cold in the winter, but we almost never get snow. Something to do with humidity (or lack thereof), and also that while it gets cold here, it doesn't get as cold as it gets in really cold places. That and the fact that it's usually quite hot in the summer, though not as hot as it gets in really hot places, means that there's a big contrast between summer and winter. It gets hotter in summer than it gets in really cold places, and it gets colder in winter than it does in really hot places.

- Seth Meyers

daniel1948

Quote from: arthwollipot on February 02, 2024, 12:57:13 AMFamously, Canberra gets cold in the winter, but we almost never get snow. Something to do with humidity (or lack thereof), and also that while it gets cold here, it doesn't get as cold as it gets in really cold places. That and the fact that it's usually quite hot in the summer, though not as hot as it gets in really hot places, means that there's a big contrast between summer and winter. It gets hotter in summer than it gets in really cold places, and it gets colder in winter than it does in really hot places.

The farther from water a place is, the more extreme its temperatures are likely to be. North Dakota, in the middle of North America, ranges from just over 100°F (38 C) and humid on the hottest days in summer, to negative 20°F (-29 C) and, rarely, negative 30°F (-34 C) on the coldest days in winter.

I experienced whole weeks where the daily low was negative 20°F and the daily high temperature remained below zero F (-18 C).
-- Greta Thunberg