Rate the last book you just read

Started by Drunken Idaho, October 12, 2011, 12:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillermo

Quote from: arthwollipot on June 21, 2023, 09:33:04 PMI was looking for something to read, so I did a Google search for "best modern science fiction". The one book that came up on all the review sites was The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

Originally written in Chinese, but well-translated into English, there are a few stylistic quirks that I found a bit hard to get used to. It also starts pretty slow, and I was about halfway through before I worked out what was actually going on. Once I got that far, though, the hook was pretty strong.

It's the first book of a series, and I've so far finished The Dark Forest and have just started on Death's End. So far the series is about an 7.5/10 for me. Well worth reading, but not the most engaging book I've read recently.
It gets recommended to me quite often. It's on my Wishlist.

This are my recommendations for modern Science Fiction: Hyberion Cantos - Yes Please, We are Legion (We are Bob) - Excellent for any engineer/programmer,  Expeditionary Force - I have just read the first book.

Sawyer

I've been snidely thinking I'm somehow too "sophisticated" to be drawn in by the tawdry horror genre, but on a whim I finally checked out some Joyce Carol Oates -  The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror

9/10   But still a tough call whether Oates short stories are as entertaining as her Tweets.

If I forget to post about it when I finish, the Huey Long bio is also fantastic.  Perhaps one of the only American political figures who becomes more interesting when viewed through the lens of our 45th president (in most cases I think everyone's obsession with Trumpism seems to have flattened their analysis of previous leaders)

stretcher

I re-read the Forgotten Realms novel Tantrus. The second novel set during the Time of Troubles, when gods walked the earth.

I hadn't read it since I was about 13. Still great. I forgot how much I enjoyed the characters of Kelemvor, Midnight, and especially the devilish Cyric. Like all of these FR novels they're not exactly deep lit, and feels a little bloated in places narratively, but it's entertaining.

3.5/5

arthwollipot

I enjoyed some of the Forgotten Realms novels. I never read them when they were published, but I've gone back and read quite a few of them as a mature adult who enjoys D&D. They're not exactly high literature, but many of them are quite enjoyable.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

Guillermo

Has anybody here read The Extinction Series by James D Prescott?

Guillermo

He Who Fights with Monsters 6-9 - Shirtaloon (10/10) So I am finally caught up with the series. I am just waiting to devour book 10 when it is available in September. The series is excellent. But the latter half of the series isn't as good as the first half. I am using Audible as it is my preferred media. But the series is actually published for free on the web. It is a weekly installment of chapters. This is noticeable in the AudioBook form because every so often the author has to repeat information already established chapters before. I guess it's a consequence of the publishing method. I recommend it entirely, especially for anybody interested in unorthodox fantasy and D&D.

Columbus Day - Craig Alanson (9/10) This is the first book from the Expeditionary Force Series. It's a military SciFi. I was not expecting to like it. I loved it. The main character is likable, and halfway through the book, the story flips in an unexpected, yet reasonable manner. It's a 15-book series, and I can't wait to continue with it. I recommend this book to Gritty/military Scifi Fans. 

That's it for my Digest. I wish I had a bigger variety, but I was binging the He Who Fights With Monsters Hard. Now I have a bunch of smaller audiobooks that will keep me entertained until book 10.

arthwollipot

Quote from: arthwollipot on June 21, 2023, 09:33:04 PMI was looking for something to read, so I did a Google search for "best modern science fiction". The one book that came up on all the review sites was The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu...

Interestingly, now that I'm about 70% through Death's End the cover art has changed, and there's now a badge saying "Soon to be a Netflix series". 0o0

ETA: Set for release in January 2024, produced by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, who produced Game of Thrones.

- Seth Meyers

arthwollipot

You know that feeling you get after finishing a really good meal? That full and contented feeling? That's kind of how I feel having finished Death's End. Just a really satisfying conclusion to a story that is massive in scope and extent. Well worth the time, in my opinion.

Now I have to work out what to read next. I've been wanting to read Vonnegut for a while now - never having read anything by him before. I guess the place to start would be Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle? I think that's where I'm probably going next.

- Seth Meyers

Sawyer

Oh wow great minds think alike.  I realized I've gone several years without a Vonnegut so I made a special trip today to get Sirens of Titan from the library.  Perhaps the closest to pure sci-fi he wrote.

Slaughterhouse Five would almost certainly be the best entry point, although if you want his most revealing thoughts about WWII then you have to do Mother Night as well.

Also on an unrelated note, Goodreads has suddenly turned into an absolute trainwreck.  If you try looking up popular authors their most famous works either don't show up at all, or they show up in a foreign language (with truly bizarre covers).  Such a shame because I really loved being able to look up books somewhere that wasn't Amazon ... :(

arthwollipot

I used to use LibraryThing but I haven't in a long while. I believe Goodreads is owned by Amazon anyway so you're still looking it up there. :grin:

- Seth Meyers

Sawyer

It was one extra layer of insulation from immediately clicking the "buy" button.

A conspiracy-minded person might wonder if deliberately tanking the 2nd most popular website to browse books could be used to drive up sales on the 1st most popular website.

arthwollipot

Anyway, I've never read any Vonnegut, and everybody seems to say that it's good, so that's what I'm going to do. :D

- Seth Meyers

puddingface

Cat's Cradle is the first Vonnegut i read, don't think you can go wrong with that or Slaughterhouse 5.

Guillermo

An Unwelcomed Guest - Scott Meyer (6/10): This book wasn't as fun as the previous books. It's ok, and the comedy is excellent. But this book falls short in writing and prose. This novel inspires me to write cause I'm pretty sure I can write better than this. (at least that's how I feel). I would only recommend it if you liked books 1 and 2.

Death on the Nile - Agatha Cristie (9/10): Back when I was younger, my father gifted me two Hercule Poirot books. And we both saw the tv series at the time. One of them was Muerte en el Nilo, (they were in Spanish). I enjoyed it back then, and I really liked it now. It feels less dated than other works I've read of her, but the characters are marvelous. The motivations and the intrigue is always there. There are no wasted words in her writing.

Armada - Ernest Cline (8/10): This was a fun read, but toward the middle, the pacing drops like a bowling ball. Like Ready Player One, this is an 80s nostalgia-fest, with the exception that it made sense in RPO, but it felt overdone in this one. It is also a very generic story with a satisfying unexpected well-executed ending. 

Spec Ops - Craig Alanson (10/10): This is book 2 of the Expeditionary Force series. The characterization is superb. the characters are extremely likable and are excellently written. I really liked how in the first book, something happens in the middle that completely changed the narrative and made an already excellent military sci-fi book into something better. Well, this book does it again. It makes sense and is very satisfying to read. 

Guillermo

Blindness (Ensaio sobre a cegueira) - José Saramago (10/10): I was avoiding this book. I got it because a friend recommended it and the English translation is free on Audible Premium. I still waited until there was nothing on my backlog to read. Oh boy, this is masterclass writing. I highly recommend this book. A quick overview: This is an essay on human nature when fear and ignorance take over.