Split Pea Soup

Started by daniel1948, September 02, 2022, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenu

My mom makes a great split pea soup
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

daniel1948

One tip: If you want split pea soup to be smooth, you have to cook the peas for a very long time. I think I once noted to myself an hour and a half. Less long and there will be bits of pea in the soup. That's not bad. It's just a preference.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

Belgarath

Quote from: daniel1948 on November 09, 2023, 12:46:18 PMOne tip: If you want split pea soup to be smooth, you have to cook the peas for a very long time. I think I once noted to myself an hour and a half. Less long and there will be bits of pea in the soup. That's not bad. It's just a preference.

Are you using fresh peas or dried or frozen?  I've always run them through a strainer.
#non-belief denialist

Friendly Angel

My instapot is pretty much my only kitchen gadget that isn't coffee related.
You can saute the onions and garlic in it, fry in the Soy-rizo, and put in the peas, spices and water with minimal fuss and it's done in an hour.

The peas are pretty soft, but still in there so if you want it smooth you have to mush it up.
Several people who are much more food-savvy than me have told me it's some of the best they've had.
I tried it without the Soy-rizo once and it was bland even with all my spices... really good stuff.
Amend and resubmit.

xenu

My Mom uses a ham bone for broth and then uses dried peas for the soup base. It will also have bits of ham in it. So If you are a vegetarian it will not be for you.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

daniel1948

Quote from: Belgarath on November 09, 2023, 02:37:17 PM
Quote from: daniel1948 on November 09, 2023, 12:46:18 PMOne tip: If you want split pea soup to be smooth, you have to cook the peas for a very long time. I think I once noted to myself an hour and a half. Less long and there will be bits of pea in the soup. That's not bad. It's just a preference.

Are you using fresh peas or dried or frozen?  I've always run them through a strainer.

Split peas are dry. Nutritionally similar to beans, but being split they cook faster (but still take longer than grains). They have a distinct flavor, less strong than beans. And of course they are green. You could certainly make soup from garden peas, but that's not what I call split pea soup.

I rinse split peas multiple times before cooking.

If you have a flour mill you can mill green split peas into flour and add it to muffins to make them green for St. Patty's day without the need of food coloring.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg