The Skeptics Guide #970 - Feb 10 2024

Started by Steven Novella, February 10, 2024, 11:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Novella

The Skeptics Guide #970 - Feb 10 2024

What's the Word: Cardinal; News Items: New Virus-Like Microbes Found, SLIM Lunar Lander, Misinformation and Wellness Influencers, Super Earth in Habitable Zone, Climate Change and Storms; Who's That Noisy, Name That Logical Fallacy, Science or Fiction

Source: The Skeptics Guide #970 - Feb 10 2024
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
[email protected]

lonely moa

For a science podcast there is a lot of Imperial measurements bandied about.

Oh, atmospheric rivers also flow from the tropics southwards.  Large tropical storms bounded by a strong anticyclone area also a part of the southern hemisphere, btw.
"Be scared. You can't help that. But don't be afraid."
— William Faulkner

werecow

The reverse Gish gallop term likely comes from here:

Mooohn!

Tassie Dave

Steve mentioned that George Hrab wouldn't be at their eclipse party because he is doing something with Brian Brushwood (friend of the show).

George Hrab will be performing the entirety of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" culminating with the last chords of the final track "Eclipse" as the eclipse is starting.

This will be happening at "The 7 acre Schwood", Brian's podcast studio property in Austin which is under the eclipse path of Totality.

Unrelated note. I was several minutes into Steve's item before I realised he wasn't saying "Wellness Influenzas"  :undecided:

Harry Black

Quote from: Tassie Dave on February 12, 2024, 02:41:44 AMSteve mentioned that George Hrab wouldn't be at their eclipse party because he is doing something with Brian Brushwood (friend of the show).

George Hrab will be performing the entirety of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" culminating with the last chords of the final track "Eclipse" as the eclipse is starting.

This will be happening at "The 7 acre Schwood", Brian's podcast studio property in Austin which is under the eclipse path of Totality.

Unrelated note. I was several minutes into Steve's item before I realised he wasn't saying "Wellness Influenzas"  :undecided:

Aussie accent confusion goes both ways??