Andrew Torrez, of Opening Arguments, accused of sexual harassment and assault...

Started by Eternally Learning, February 02, 2023, 06:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarbShark

Quote from: Eternally Learning on January 31, 2024, 04:25:48 AM
Quote from: CarbShark on January 30, 2024, 12:28:46 PMWhen you say "we in the industry," which industry are you referring to?
I don't know what the correct term is for it, but it was not meant as a literal statement.  It was just a playful way to word it with no implications intended. 
Fair enough. From the tone of your message and that phrasing I thought you were saying you were in the podcasting industry.
Quote from: CarbShark on January 30, 2024, 12:28:46 PMI didn't use those words, so not sure why they are in quotes.
As  Harry pointed out, you did.

Quote from: CarbShark on January 30, 2024, 12:28:46 PMI did say it "wouldn't work" and that by itself, in this context is pretty clearly an opinion.

You might need to re-read what you write when claiming you didn't say things because immediately after the other thing you said you didn't say:

Quote from: CarbShark on January 28, 2024, 08:42:52 PMThis is nuts. OA would not work with Thomas and no Andrew.

Your point? "Wouldn't" and "would not" are equivalent and I said that and I said I said that, so what's you point?
Quote from: CarbShark on January 30, 2024, 12:28:46 PMBy "act like" you mean have the opinion?

I don't mean this as a rude comment, but is English not your primary language?  That's the only other thing I can figure is going on here besides you trying to find literally anything I said that you can object to.

I'm fine with English and even colloquial terms, unless it's being used to mask the real meaning.

The real meaning of you saying "act like" was express an opinion.

Quote from: CarbShark on January 30, 2024, 12:28:46 PM(Shouldn't you be framing that as your opinion, rather than an objective fact?)

Again, that's not what I said. You even quoted me saying that's not what I said. I said Thomas is not doing what's best for the show, as he claimed.

I've defended how I characterized your words earlier.  You know, the parts where you said you didn't say the stuff I quoted you as saying?

Wow, you're really trying to milk that one mistake I made for every last drop, even using it to avoid answering direct criticisms.

To be clear, the critque here is that while you accuse others of stating opinion as fact, you do the exact same thing.
Quote from: CarbShark on January 30, 2024, 12:28:46 PMAgain, I am not comparing the two or saying anything about who did more harm.

You don't have to write the words, "My intention is to compare these two things," to compare those two things. 

In this case I was only referring to Thomas' claim that what he's doing is what's best for the show. That has nothing to do with anything else. Just that he is being facetious in that comment.

The show has been limping by in the year since the scandal, and at this point Thomas can only kill it. (IMO)

QuoteYou said the show wouldn't work with just Thomas and have commented that the show is working with respectable numbers with Andrew and Liz.

Those are two different things.

Thing 1 Thomas is not doing what best for the show
Thing 2 The show won't work with Thomas and not Andrew

They are separate and distinct.
QuoteYou don't have to be a mind reader to know you are comparing them and if you're literally saying the show will fail with only Thomas, the obvious implication is that him running the show on his own would do more harm than Andrew running the show on his own.  Need me to connect any more giant dots that are next to each other?

Yes the show will fail with only Thomas (and I think everyone involved knows that).

Yes, going forward Thomas running the show will be worse for the show than Andrew running the show (and I think everyone involved knows that).

Quote from: CarbShark on January 30, 2024, 12:28:46 PMRight, if that's going to be your new rule for posting, maybe you should follow it yourself.

I clearly am, you're just ignoring what I said.
QuoteNope. Sometimes you qualify your comments (as do I) and sometimes you don't (same for me).

Quote from: Eternally Learning on January 30, 2024, 02:36:38 AMbut if you're going to act like those opinions are somehow obviously true while providing next to nothing in the way of supporting that, expect to be called on it.
QuoteYou can say what you want about the content of what I've said here, but clearly I'm trying to support what I've said.

Support how? With evidence? With links to pages that support your claims? Haven't seen that from you.
There are more atoms of hydrogen in a single molecule of water than there are stars in the entire solar system.

CarbShark

Speaking of Thomas, this episode of his "Serious Inquiries Only" podcast is a masterful takedown of Bill Maher and his antivaccine claims.

Serious Inquiries Only: SIO423: Bill Maher Gets Owned By Peter Griffin On COVID Nonsense on Apple Podcasts

QuoteDr. Rick Sullivan, SIO's resident synthetic biologist, joined me to comment on the recent "debate" between Bill Maher and Seth MacFarlane on the COVID vaccine. The right says Bill pWnEd Seth, but what do you all think? Will Dr. Rick's PhD in immunology be enough to stand up to Maher's COVID "facts"?
There are more atoms of hydrogen in a single molecule of water than there are stars in the entire solar system.

arthwollipot

We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

CarbShark

Quote from: arthwollipot on February 01, 2024, 04:39:10 PMDid Seth do it in character?

That's what I was hoping for, based on the title.

I'm going to find the debate and watch that sometime.

arthwollipot

Referring to an actor by the name of their most well-known character is one of my pet peeves.

- Seth Meyers

Harry Black

Ive heard the debate and he did not do it in character.
Maher is a fucking idiot though, Im not sure why he still gets the time of day from people like McFarlane.

I guess its the edgy atheist thing.

arthwollipot

- Seth Meyers

Belgarath

Quote from: CarbShark on February 01, 2024, 05:25:23 PM
Quote from: arthwollipot on February 01, 2024, 04:39:10 PMDid Seth do it in character?

That's what I was hoping for, based on the title.

I'm going to find the debate and watch that sometime.

It's really not a 'debate'  Its Maher spouting nonsense, Seth correcting a point, and then Maher gish galloping onto a different objection.

#non-belief denialist

CarbShark

So the lastest episode of Opening Arguments:

"Thomas Takes the Podcast Back" (15 mins)

This episode is Thomas announcing his return, explaining how it works that he's back and letting listeners know what to expect.

The first full episode is only on Patreon for now. Matt Cameron will be the legal expert.

Thomas Takes the Bar Exam will return.

Three episodes a week.

We shall see.

xenu

I will give it a listen. I'm not sure who Cameron is but the charm of the show was the banter between Torezz and Thomas. If Thomas can get that same style with Cameron it should work out.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

Belgarath

#non-belief denialist

xenu

Well the podcast has been going on for over a week now with Thomas at the helm. It is a lot like the old podcast compared with when Torrez running it. The format is a little bit difference. He is splitting off Andrew takes the bar exam to a stand a lone show with 3 questions. He has Matt Cameron as his partner who is a lawyer. The 2 mesh pretty good. Matt even had his wife Casey on who was a prosecuting attorney for 15 years. Cassey is not on all the time but the one pod cast I listened to was good. The Pod cast with Thomas on seems to have the old flow back. With Torrez and Dye it was really dry and didn't have the same feel, which makes sense because they are both different styles. What makes it better in my opinion is that Thomas comes at it from a layman point of view and Torrez had 2 lawyers on so the whole cadence was just off to me. So far I like the new re-re boot of the pod. I have not subscribed with patreon yet but if it keeps up I probably will. Plus I think Thomas said it will not be all Trump all the time. He had a great podcast about the death penalty that was worth a listen.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

CarbShark

Quote from: xenu on February 16, 2024, 04:55:29 PMWell the podcast has been going on for over a week now with Thomas at the helm. It is a lot like the old podcast compared with when Torrez running it. The format is a little bit difference. He is splitting off Andrew takes the bar exam to a stand a lone show with 3 questions. He has Matt Cameron as his partner who is a lawyer. The 2 mesh pretty good. Matt even had his wife Casey on who was a prosecuting attorney for 15 years. Cassey is not on all the time but the one pod cast I listened to was good. The Pod cast with Thomas on seems to have the old flow back. With Torrez and Dye it was really dry and didn't have the same feel, which makes sense because they are both different styles. What makes it better in my opinion is that Thomas comes at it from a layman point of view and Torrez had 2 lawyers on so the whole cadence was just off to me. So far I like the new re-re boot of the pod. I have not subscribed with patreon yet but if it keeps up I probably will. Plus I think Thomas said it will not be all Trump all the time. He had a great podcast about the death penalty that was worth a listen.

I've been listening too. With Thomas an Andrew there was a delicate balance between being informed and entertained. Both Thomas and Andrew could be funny and entertaining, but only Andrew was informative.

With the new format, Matt provides all the informative content, but he's not funny, doesn't try to be, but at least he gets Thomas' jokes.

I'll keep listening, but it's not as good as Thomas and Andrew of a year ago.

Are we going to revive the TTTBE thread?

xenu

Douglas Adams