To boost or not to boost. That is the question.

Started by CarbShark, November 17, 2021, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel1948

Quote from: Desert Fox on January 03, 2024, 04:25:29 PM
Quote from: daniel1948 on January 03, 2024, 02:46:07 PM
Quote from: Desert Fox on January 03, 2024, 09:27:57 AMHad a scheduled eye appointment at the VA. It tuned out that it was an appointment that should have been cancelled.
Still I was able to get the new covid-19 booster. Waiting that fifteen minutes before I can leave now.

They didn't bother telling me to wait the 15 minutes when I got my most recent covid shot. The bivalent one.

The VA just does not want you to leave the hospital. I want to the restroom, eyed the diet Pepsi in the vending machine (I had more in my lunchbox already but that was in the car but $2.50 for a bottle just seemed steep), and played on my laptop for a few minutes. Not a big deal. 

I speculate that the folks at my clinic figured that if I'd had no adverse reaction to the previous 4 or 5 covid shots, I was probably safe. Or maybe they just forgot to tell me to wait.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

jt512

Quote from: daniel1948 on January 03, 2024, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: Desert Fox on January 03, 2024, 04:25:29 PM
Quote from: daniel1948 on January 03, 2024, 02:46:07 PM
Quote from: Desert Fox on January 03, 2024, 09:27:57 AMHad a scheduled eye appointment at the VA. It tuned out that it was an appointment that should have been cancelled.
Still I was able to get the new covid-19 booster. Waiting that fifteen minutes before I can leave now.

They didn't bother telling me to wait the 15 minutes when I got my most recent covid shot. The bivalent one.

The VA just does not want you to leave the hospital. I want to the restroom, eyed the diet Pepsi in the vending machine (I had more in my lunchbox already but that was in the car but $2.50 for a bottle just seemed steep), and played on my laptop for a few minutes. Not a big deal. 

I speculate that the folks at my clinic figured that if I'd had no adverse reaction to the previous 4 or 5 covid shots, I was probably safe. Or maybe they just forgot to tell me to wait.

They're starting to get lax about it. They've likely noticed that there are very few adverse reactions and that most people just walk out immediately anyway.
Never Again Is Now.

arthwollipot

Quote from: jt512 on January 03, 2024, 06:32:54 PMThey're starting to get lax about it. They've likely noticed that there are very few adverse reactions and that most people just walk out immediately anyway.

Yeah, as I understand it (not an expert), any adverse reactions are likely to present almost immediately, so the risk of letting people go is pretty minor.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

bachfiend

I'm planning on having my sixth dose as soon as my GP gets in a supply of the new version of the vaccine.

I'll wait in the waiting room for the 15 minutes after the injection even if it's not required.  It's no big deal reading my Kindle after the injection as well as during waiting before the injection.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Awatsjr

Yeah, they want 15 minutes and I give them 10. I still want to be there just for a bit in case this is the one time I react and need medical attention. It's a minor inconvenience.

There is probably a percentage of people that have an emotional response to getting a shot and they want to make sure they don't freak out.

I've have no reaction to the last two boosters. First ones I had a little bit or reaction 8 hours later. Same for flu shots.

But if you want some fun, get the shingles and pneumonia vaccines at the same time.

gmalivuk

I don't remember being asked to stick around after any other vaccine than Covid, though I think influenza is the only other shot I've gotten at a drugstore rather than a clinic or doctor's office, and in the latter I'm often still there for some time just for them to get paperwork ready, check if I need to schedule the next appointment, etc.

But in any case, I imagine anyone getting a Covid shot these days has already had the initial shot or two plus at least one or two boosters. If they haven't had a bad reaction yet, they're probably not going to.

CarbShark

Quote from: gmalivuk on January 05, 2024, 02:54:21 PMI don't remember being asked to stick around after any other vaccine than Covid, though I think influenza is the only other shot I've gotten at a drugstore rather than a clinic or doctor's office, and in the latter I'm often still there for some time just for them to get paperwork ready, check if I need to schedule the next appointment, etc.

But in any case, I imagine anyone getting a Covid shot these days has already had the initial shot or two plus at least one or two boosters. If they haven't had a bad reaction yet, they're probably not going to.

Yeah, one of the questions they asked before my last boost was "Have you ever had an allergic reaction to a COVID vaccination or any other vaccination?"

There are more atoms of hydrogen in a single molecule of water than there are stars in the entire solar system.

gmalivuk

I think they always asked that, but now they're more willing to trust your answer because you've likely had several prior Covid shots.

daniel1948

I think I've always been asked before any vaccination whether or not I've had any allergic reaction to a vaccination. Maybe whether I have any allergies. I'm pretty sure they always ask me before my flu shot if I'm allergic to eggs or anything else in the shot. To the best of my knowledge I'm not allergic to anything.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

gcason

Quote from: gmalivuk on January 05, 2024, 02:54:21 PMI don't remember being asked to stick around after any other vaccine than Covid, though I think influenza is the only other shot I've gotten at a drugstore rather than a clinic or doctor's office, and in the latter I'm often still there for some time just for them to get paperwork ready, check if I need to schedule the next appointment, etc.

My doctor's office doesn't offer Covid vaccines, so I get those at the local drugstore. They ask me not to leave to store for 15 minutes. I time it so I've got some shopping to do or a prescription to pick up. I've had all the shots and boosters and no big reaction yet, so I feel pretty safe. I stick with Moderna, but I'm pretty sure I'm just being superstitious at this point.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

daniel1948

Quote from: gcason on January 07, 2024, 09:43:35 AM

My doctor's office doesn't offer Covid vaccines, so I get those at the local drugstore. They ask me not to leave to store for 15 minutes. I time it so I've got some shopping to do or a prescription to pick up. I've had all the shots and boosters and no big reaction yet, so I feel pretty safe. I stick with Moderna, but I'm pretty sure I'm just being superstitious at this point.

I try to get both. If I get Moderna one time I ask for Pfizer the next, and vice versa. My first two were Pfizer because that's what was available, so then I got Moderna, IIRC. I figure the vaccines are slightly different, and so mixing them increases my protection.

I've never had a reaction in the first few hours after the shot. The worst reaction I've had was mild chills and a headache, starting about 30 hours after my second shot, and lasting for two hours.

I'll stick around for 15 minutes if they tell me to, as they did for the first 2 or 3, but I'll walk right out if they don't tell me to stay. My doctor's office, like yours, doesn't offer covid shots. But I don't like the pharmacy because they hurt more. Nurses give better shots. So I go to the urgent care clinic, where they do give covid shots. That's closer than the hospital. And it's nearly impossible to find parking at the hospital.

ETA: I wonder when they're going to start offering a combined flu & covid shot?
-- Greta Thunberg

bachfiend

I've just had the 6th dose, the Pfizer one this time.  They must have changed the needles because I didn't feel the injection.

I was required to stay in the waiting room for 15 minutes afterwards.

I met two elderly women this morning during the walk with my dog.  Both said they weren't going to have a booster.  One said she had the initial vaccines, but that her naturopath has told her she doesn't need boosters since her immune system is strong.  Sigh..
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Awatsjr

Which would make me burst out loud with "That's stupid." But I try not to.