The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread

Started by guest13271, August 01, 2017, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthwollipot

Quote from: CarbShark on February 01, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
Quote from: arthwollipot on February 01, 2024, 07:30:49 PM
Quote from: CarbShark on February 01, 2024, 07:27:20 PMMyth.

Mm, possibly. But my car's speedo routinely shows me running about 4-7kph slower than my GPS does. I can't recall where I originally read that it was routine. Some car review magazine back in the 80s, probably.

If your speedometer says you are going slower than you really are, how is that safer? Wouldn't that lead you to drive faster?

Check your tire size compared to the manufacturer's specifications.

I may have got it backwards.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

CarbShark

Quote from: arthwollipot on February 02, 2024, 12:58:28 AM
Quote from: CarbShark on February 01, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
Quote from: arthwollipot on February 01, 2024, 07:30:49 PM
Quote from: CarbShark on February 01, 2024, 07:27:20 PMMyth.

Mm, possibly. But my car's speedo routinely shows me running about 4-7kph slower than my GPS does. I can't recall where I originally read that it was routine. Some car review magazine back in the 80s, probably.

If your speedometer says you are going slower than you really are, how is that safer? Wouldn't that lead you to drive faster?

Check your tire size compared to the manufacturer's specifications.

I may have got it backwards.

OK, most times when this happens it's because people put snow tires on, which can be a bit larger, or some kind of all-weather tire.

With a larger tire, the speedometer will show a slower than actual speed.
There are more atoms of hydrogen in a single molecule of water than there are stars in the entire solar system.

xenu

My speed-o is about 2-3 MPH faster then what a radar gun will show.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

Desert Fox

I just finished repairing my car today. This morning in fact.  Not including painting the replacement parts, likely took me 5 or 6 hours.  Drizzling this morning but able to beat out the worst of the rain.  Need to still put the logos back on the parts I replaced.

Insurance company first estimated the cost of the repair at $2600, which with a $250 deductible, would have given me $2300 because I always planned to do the work myself.  They reevaluated it however and decided it was a total loss. They gave me $4400 for the value of the car and would have give me $5900 if they took possession of the car. Might have been able to buy something newer but decided to keep the old one and effectively pocket the difference.

They would have sold it at auction for likely around $1200 and the buyer, likely a shop, would have repaired it and sold it for $4500 to $6000.

Before:

After:

Does anyone know the best way to put logos back on? That two sided vehicle tape or best to use some sort of glue?
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

xenu

"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

Desert Fox

Tried the vehicle tape and was just not working. Went to O'Reilly's and got 3M glue designed for emblems. The glue seemed to work pretty well. I think it is basically just a gel super glue.
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

xenu

Nice to know. I've had good luck with the tape in the past.
Douglas Adams