Rate the last movie you just saw.

Started by Halloran, April 26, 2011, 12:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raggedy angst

My latest rewatch was the 2021 glam rock musical anime Inu-Oh. Set in medieval Japan, it tells the story of a blind biwa player and a societal outcast who rise to fame performing traditional Japanese stories. As their fame grows, the powerful begin to notice.

The animation is just wild. Director Masaaki Yuasa tells the story in a kaliedoscope of art and animation styles, sometimes touching on infuences as diverse as Ralph Bakshi and traditional Japanese woodcut.

Though not entirely sung, there are a number of rock songs in the film. The character of Inu-Oh is performed in both dialogue and song by Japanese performer Avu-chan, who is non-binary and mixed race. I think they bring something really special to the character of Inu-Oh, which I imagine must come from understanding growing up in Japan while being on the outside to some degree.

This movie is a 10/10 for me, and I expect to revisit it many times in the future. Even if you're not an anime person I'd encourage you to give this one a try.

daniel1948

The UFO Movie THEY Don't Want You to See 3/10. This is basically an extended episode of Skeptoid thats at least 50% (maybe more) Brian Dunning talking at the camera, but with some interspersed visuals and short interviews. I enjoy Skeptoid, which, being audio, I can listen to while doing other things. I mostly listen to podcasts while cooking and eating. But this movie is so tedious that I was only able to watch it for 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

The substance, such as there is, is his usual debunking style, and is good. But the visual medium adds nothing to the content, and watching Dunning talk at the camera is a waste of eyesight. He does a very good job, for example, of debunking those famous Air Force videos, the "tic tac," the "go-fast," and I forget what the other one is called. If you regularly debate UFO believers, this is good information. But no UFO believer is likely to sit through more than 5 minutes of the film.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

stretcher

Arkansas (2020)

A crime drama that strives to be noir with a dose of dark humor. The tone is uneven. The writing yearns to be clever but fails in its pursuit until the final act. The final third of the film is entertaining with an interesting twist, but getting through those first 45-or-so minutes to reach that reward is rough.

2/5

werecow

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023): I actually liked the first one. The second one was forgettable enough that I've forgotten it so can't comment. But just like 99% of other soulless superhero movie dreck, this movie represents a > two hour waste of my life. The final CGI noise fight is still running in the background but I can't be arsed to watch anymore. Apparently it's the last movie in the DC Extended Universe. Thank fuck for small mercies. 0/10 Go fuck yourselves, superhero movie franchise executives.
Mooohn!

arthwollipot

I watched a movie.

Okay, it was Galaxy Quest.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

daniel1948

Quote from: arthwollipot on January 31, 2024, 06:18:55 PMI watched a movie.

One of the great movies of all time.
"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."
-- Greta Thunberg

Tassie Dave

Quote from: daniel1948 on January 31, 2024, 08:05:45 PM

Agreed. A Star Trek rip off that is better than anything Star Trek. IMHO  :cool:

There is supposed to be a TV spin off coming to Paramount+, but news went quiet on it during the strikes last year.

It could never top the movie, but I'd watch it, if it sees the light of day.

werecow

I feel like that would basically just be The Orville. }|<oP But I fourth the thumbs up for Galaxy Quest. Should watch that again sometime soon!
Mooohn!

daniel1948

Quote from: Tassie Dave on February 01, 2024, 01:06:43 AM
Quote from: daniel1948 on January 31, 2024, 08:05:45 PM

Agreed. A Star Trek rip off that is better than anything Star Trek. IMHO  :cool:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than Star Trek!
-- Greta Thunberg

daniel1948

Tarzan (2016). Margot Robbie and Samual L Jackson. Decent. 6/10. Too many ways it differed from the books, though certainly much better than the old Hollywood Tarzan movies.

Cowboys & Aliens. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. 7/10. Fun movie.
-- Greta Thunberg

arthwollipot

Quote from: werecow on February 01, 2024, 07:15:42 AMI feel like that would basically just be The Orville. }|<oP But I fourth the thumbs up for Galaxy Quest. Should watch that again sometime soon!

That's what I said. So I did.

And honestly, it holds up very well, much like Sigourney Weaver's boobs.
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird shit

- Seth Meyers

Harry Black

Self Reliance
A stuck in a rut average guy gets offered the chance to win a million dollars being hunted on the dark web by assassins. They cant kill him if he is next to someone else so he tries to leverage the loophole by staying close to his family who dont believe him and are not happy that he wants to sleep in their beds and follow them to the bathroom.
Very funny, very charming kind of romantic comedy. Nice to see something a bit different being made.

stretcher

The Guard (2011)

A well shot, often funny and quirky dark comedy about an unusual Irish policeman who has to team up with a US FBI agent to stop violent - yet thoughtful and eloquent - drug runners.

There are some great performances here. A sparsely used sarcastic and nihilistic Mark Strong as one of the villains was delicious. Brendan Gleeson in the lead role never misses. Don Cheadle is good as usual, though seems restrained.

It's entertaining. However, the writers' reach exceeded their grasp in their efforts to be clever and noir. The story flow doesn't feel quite right - possibly poor editing, or some scenes that simply weren't needed.

A tight 3/5 for me.